Monday, December 05, 2005

But it really was cocaine!

Jeff and I both asked the doctor again and again if he really did say cocaine..so now I've done the research and have found out that it's used in the emergency rooms in hospitals frequently to stop nosebleeds or as a local anesthetic for cuts in children...I had no idea, and now I think I'll be more cautious of what goes on when I'm taking the kids to the ER. (not like it's very often, don't get me wrong)
But it's nice to see so many people read the blog!
Hi Steven!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

....for all you non-believers there is a site to explain the cocaine thing...and under it is the copy and paste from the site about medical treatment...


http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/bill54/epistaxis.htm

Medical treatment.

The clots should be cleared by suction or blowing the nose.
After visualising the bleeding site.
A wad with 0.25% phenylephrine nose drops is applied.
A wad with 1% lignocaine with 1:1000 epinephrine is applied.
A wad with 1% cocaine is inserted. (Cocaine is the most potent topical vasoconstrictor)
The insertion of a small piece of gelatin sponge (Gelfoam) or topical thrombin over the bleeding site can be tried.

H