Thursday, February 25, 2010
1) The songs EVERYBODY sings - If I never hear "Sweet Caroline," "Margaritaville" or "Brown Eyed Girl" ever again, it would be too soon.
2) The songs nobody knows - If your friends go "Huh?" when you mention an artist or song, it's probably not a good one for karaoke. Why it's even in the book is beyond me. People will be bored if they don't know the song you're singing. Old dudes are infamous for pulling these out.
3) Anything country - Period. Don't do it. Nobody cares.
4) No more slow songs - The biggest problem with slow songs is that they're painfully long. An old guy favorite in this category is Elton John's "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me." Anything with a similar tempo should be avoided, especially if it's 8 minutes long.
5) No more sad songs - Anything about dying or death or songs that make people cry should not be brought into a karaoke platform. Once, a girl sang "I Will Remember You" by Sarah McLachlan and then immediately went into "Goodbye to You" by Michelle Branch as her next choice. If you're depressed, don't sing karaoke.
6) The awkwardly sexual song - While "Baby Got Back" is fun*, don't think sexual songs fly with karaoke crowds. Once you get into "The Bad Touch" by the Bloodhound Gang or "I'll Make Love to You" by Boyz II Men, people start to feel uncomfortable (we actually sang the latter once...it was AWKWARD). Another one to avoid is "I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Badd. It's not funny- just awkward.
* This song is best sung when everybody's had a few drinks in them.
7) The rap songs, by someone who can't rap - This doesn't happen very often (most people know better), but I've seen it. Basically: White girls should not try to sing Snoop Dogg. I'm not being racist; I say this based on the fact that most white girls cannot rap. White guys also should not try Eminem songs. Just because he's white does not mean that you, normal white guy, can rap. Leave the rapping to the rappers.
8) Songs that are plain annoying - My favorite in this category is LEN's "Steal My Sunshine." Not gonna lie- I got up with a friend and did this one. When the song title came on the screen, the audience GROANED. Groaned. No joke. Stay away from songs people just don't like. Aqua's "Barbie Girl" would be another groan-inducing one. And this is just personal opinion, but Creed and Nickelback also go in this category for me. Creed makes me want to stab my eyes out.
9) The 10 minute long song - I'm talking to you, "Bohemian Rapsody" and "Thriller." It sounds like a good idea because people like these songs, but trust me...by 7 minutes, people are bored. Sure they'll sing along for a while. But these songs are Just. Too. Long. And absolutely no "Freebird" or "Hotel California" either!!
10) Songs with very little lyrics or long instrumental sections - Usually the only time this happens is after the 10th sake bomb, but it's a good reminder to know what you're singing before you put it in. Songs like "Tequila!" should never be karaoke'd. This also applies for songs like "Paradise City" by GnR...it's got a forever and ever instrumental section right in the middle, making it a weird song for karaoke. "Love is a Battlefield" by Pat Benatar...same thing. Listen to your karaoke songs before you hit the bar.
- Also: Songs with seriously repetitive lyrics like "Total Eclipse of the Heart" get old real fast too.
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Monday, February 22, 2010
Painting at UB the Artist. I went with a leopard print on a scoop dish. If it looks nice I'll donate it with gourmet chocolates or cupcakes to the boys baseball silent auction. June 12th - mark it on your calendars! Like I said, no particular order.
Here's the girls singing a little Joan Jett! I'm surprised LouLou couldn't guess what song Michelle picked out.
Ah yes, the poop card. It totally made everyone laugh. That's how dumb yet funny it was.
Michelle painting her maybe dip/maybe scrubby bowl:
Our delish gourmet birthday cupcakes. Yummy!
Yep, Lou Lou definitely has the longer tongue. I think I have the larger nose though.
It was a fantastic night, even though we were missed in the karaoke rotations several times. It could have to do with the fact that during our serenade of Billie Jean to LouLou I said VERY LOUDLY into the mic 'this isn't good at all'. Nice. Andrea and I did kick butt with Kid Rock though. I'll be practising Pink for next time. Maybe you DO sound better when you're LOUD. We'll see.
Michelle should start practising I Like Big Butts for her next retro-rap karaoke. Can anyone guess what she sang?
Friday, February 19, 2010
Tonight we're celebrating Lou Lou's birthday. She'll be making this but a lot more colorful:
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
- junk food
- online shopping
- late nights
Monday, February 15, 2010
Here's some pics of the day:
Crazy going slowly am I. I took 5 kids to the zoo and survived. Actually I think my record is taking 6 boys by myself and that adventure included a picnic lunch. Booyah! We have very few pics of everyone looking at the camera. Here's JT's backside.
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Yesterday the boys spent their allowance money on some mini cupcakes for their babysitter. So thoughtful.
Aaron and I went out for dinner for some friends at Bolero. It's definitely our fave restaurant - and I definitely wore a loose top ;o)
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Here's a prime example of a quality item that everyone just has to have. A parking pass holder. Display it from your rear view mirror. Hmm. Did they not see the built-in hook that comes with the holder? Save your $5. Then there was this gem. Space saving turntable for soup cans. I think because it's round it actually takes up MORE SPACE.Here's what my cans look like and I think I can see the 11-12 cans just fine without the need of a fancy carousel. Save your $13 and don't be lazy.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Monday, February 08, 2010
So, this morning my lovely friend Tracy over at The Faerie Castle gifted me with this:
Thanks Tracy! It gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling when I know that people are reading :o)
And now for the paperwork:
- Thank the person who gave the award to you
- Copy the award to your blog
- Place a link to their blog
- List 7 things people do not know about you
- Nominate 7 other bloggers
- Link to the bloggers you nominate
- Comment on their blogs to let them know
1, 2, 3 are done
Seven Things You Do Not Know About Me
- I'm a dreamer - I like to plan vacations we may or may not ever take.
- I'm a believer in "why can't we all just along" and butt in where I'm not wanted sometimes to try and right things I think are wrong.
- I have a thing for music. You name a song and I can probably tell you when/where/what I was doing when I heard it for the first time, or at least some memory that goes with the song.
- I am a list maker. I always have lists on the go. Things To Buy, Things To Clean, Party Plans.
- I'm allergic to caffeine, vodka and wine. I break out in a splotchy red rash all over my neck and rash. It's so freaking ugly YET I still drink coffee every morning. I skip the vodka and wine and head straight for the rum. What can I say? I like it dark and dirty ;o)
- I met my husband when I was 18, I think our marriage is strong because we've grown up together. He likes to think it's because I was train-able....just kidding!!!!
- Tina is the longest friend I've had. We met in high school when I was 15 and still talk frequently and visit when we can.
I'm nominating for this award:
- Jenn at My Life in a Nutshell
- Mmmmmarvelous M at RWB & Me
- Allie at A Day in the Life of the Whittinghams
- Alberta at Lil Salmon House
- CC at A Bit Of Nothing
I don't think any of these blogs have received this award yet and I enjoy reading their blogs. What I especially love is their picture posting - these bloggers love their pics and their viewers love them!!!
4, 5, 6 are done and I'm off to do #7 right now.
Have a great day!
Thursday, February 04, 2010
Aaron decided (and I agreed) that we should paint the windows with something Olympic. Now, we paid to have our penguins professionally done for Christmas BUT I'm thinking we might actually be talented enough to pull off something like this:
Or if we're feeling really brave, maybe even this: