Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Phew! All these interviews are making me tired :o)

This morning City TV phoned to ask if they could interview me for the news tonight. I said pretty much the same thing as last time "Uh, do I have time to brush my hair?"

More deets to come...

Here's the deets:

It wasn't what I was hoping for. I think I made some very good points and strong statements and what came out on the actual video was in a word...meh

I said "I have a police clearance, social services check, first aid/cpr, child safety house, references and a lot of experience with children - what I don't have is that piece of paper that says I'm licensed. "

And I'm sure you can all guess what was aired:

"What I don't have is that piece of paper that says I'm licensed."

Hmm...not what I was hoping for at all.

On the upside to things - Andrea was a freaking SUPERSTAR!!! She got most of the air time but made so many important points that I had also stated. But, hearing it come from a parent was probably a lot more powerful than coming from the unlicensed provider.

Oh yeah, they also aired me saying something like "It's a lot of word of mouth, if you're good - people will find out about you and if you're not - people will know." Doesn't really make sense but in my head it did, I think if they played the sentence before and after it would have sounded better but whatevs, what's done is done.

And off to the dayhome meeting I went.

There were mixed feelings there too. Yes, it was good to talk to TV but no, the private dayhome provider wasn't portrayed as a comparable service b/c they failed to mention that WE HAVE POLICE CLEARANCES/CHILD WELFARE CHECKS AS WELL AS LICENSED FACILITIES. I think we're back to square one again.

Do you think the TV station will allow me to do a rebuttal?

Didn't think so...

3 comments:

Alberta said...

If there continues to ba a shortage of good day care givers, and the public demands it, there may be future story updates...but they would have to go to others in order to keep it unbiased. thought you looked very professional and caring...now...where did you hide all your kiddies????

Jamie said...

Isn't it just cruddy when they only air that one little bleep that THEY want to express.

Bravo to you for being brave, though, and getting in front of the camera. Not many people would do that.

Jenn said...

I also thought you did great. Although they did seem to skew it a little bit. But I think in the end the point was put across.

Lucas loved watching you on TV. He wants Tivo now so that he can watch it over and over again.

Jenn