Saturday, December 08, 2007

Real or Fake?

No, I'm not talking about my boobs, I'm talking about Christmas trees folks.

Real or fake?

I always had fake trees growing up. Who else remembers the fun of the color coded stems? Hmm...is that orange or rust?

Then I met Aaron who had always had real trees.

For the years before we had our kids we had real trees and then once we had kids we had borrowed Heather's fake tree. My girlfriend said eventually there won't be any real trees so we'll keep on getting real ones until there are none. Which then got me to thinking - should we buy a real tree? Our boys have no idea what the difference is. I miss the smell of the pine but is it really environmental to use a tree for a few weeks and then take it to be recycled?

What do you guys think?

I ended up buying a pre-lit tree today with my boys. They picked it out, I wanted the white lights but was vetoed and we went home with the multi coloured lights.

And then the whole fiasco of putting it the van...picture this a silver "sporty" minivan parked in front of Michael's with 2 of 4 car seats sitting on the sidewalk amongst many bags of gifts to accomodate folding the seat down to allow room for the lonnnnnnnnnnnnng box the tree came in. And at the same time my boys are singing "wee-who" along with The Sweet Escape at the top of their gloriously loud freaking lungs. With the back of the van open everyone in a two block radius could have heard them...priceless I tell you!

Oh yeah, and to solve the whole pine smell dillemna I ordered to Frasier Fir candles that Christine had burning the other night. They smell amazingly real!

So tell me, real or fake?

4 comments:

Alberta said...

Well...we once had a real tree...your Dad chopped it down...along the side of a road in NS...and we brought it home to the apartment in the VW bug! Poor Heather squished in her car seat in the back along with what eventually became a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

I'm all for the natural stuff, but when it comes to trees, I prefer to plant a real one in my yard!

Anonymous said...

I always had real trees growing up, but now I have a fake one that I actually prefer! There is no mess from falling off pine needles, and I know that it will always look nice with no bare spots because I can arrange the branches to be in just the right spots. As for the "real tree scent", I used to hide a pine scented air freshner among the branches ( near the center pole of the tree ) and it was a pretty close second to teh scent of a real tree!
Krista.

Nat said...

I love my pre-lit tree, I bought one last year, and since I suck at stringing lights, it works great for me.

Jenn said...

I vote for fake as well. Two years Darryl and I had real trees, but we made it an adventure and went to the mountains and cut it down. Those tress are totally Charlie Brown.

Jenn