Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I miss my camera ***sniff sniff***

Maybe that' s why my blogging has been so dry the past couple weeks. Usually I have some cute pictures of Thing 1 and Thing 2 to post and chat about. Tonight my MIL is coming over to watch the boys so Aaron and I can hit the gym together and hopefully she'll bring my camera too!
Last night was our monthly dayhome meeting at my house. It was packed! There were 16 women who signed in and a few latecomers so probably 20. We had quite a bit to cover and did so quickly and efficiently . We had a lot of small clusters chatting afterwards until about 10:30ish.
There was one particular person that I found interesting. She is the director of a local daycare. (I won't mention any names on the chance that her employers come across this. ) She has decided to quit as director to open her own dayhome. It was quite fascinating to talk to her although I'll admit that when she first arrived and introduced herself I was shocked. It was like the enemy "daycare" had gotten through the barricade of "dayhome" only?!? I don't know why I felt like that but I did. It always seems like people divide dayhome and daycare and play them against each other (the pros of a more institutional setting like a school versus the pros of a more homey environment) but really we should be working together, after all we have the common goal of providing a stimulating, safe, learning environment for children.
Blah, blah, blah...sorry for the dryness once again
So, anyways, I kind of got an inside look at what it's like to run a daycare in our city and I didn't like the picture I was painted. A lot of staffing issues and angry parents. She said there is no job satisfaction there anymore and she actually had a stress induced medical issue. So, she's decided to start her own dayhome where she can spend her time teaching and playing with the kids rather than trouble shooting on the phone with parents or trying to come up with enough staff. I was really happy to hear that from someone that money isn't everything.
There is a huge employment crisis here, they actually had to close the Starbucks drive thru this weekend. Aagh! What has the city come too? I'm not sure what our unemployment rate is but it damn well be zero because there are help wanted signs everywhere! And the starting wages are $10-12 /hour and that's just to work at McDonald's or a gas station. Isn't that crazy???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is crazy! Don't forgot to Call your M.I.L before she leaves so she CAN bring your camera. Glad to hear that your meeting went well for you last night. I was wondering can you e-mail me your Phone number? Thanks
Alli

New MrsIngram said...

I much prefer a dayhome setting, especially for young children/toddlers and I've tried both.

The reason why nobody wants to work out west is because they have to pay an arm and a leg for a house. Even though you might work at McD's for $12 a hour, if you have a $750,000 mortgage it's still not going to cut it! Sad though because our housing costs are lower but there just aren't enough jobs for people, well not necessarily here, NS is also have a worker shortage problem because people are going out west for the higher wage ... so now that I think of it are they not making it all the way out west?

New MrsIngram said...

Geez I sure do ramble a lot don't I?

BTW - the kids got their postcards and loved them. Cait looked at me and asked why we never send you guys postcards .. I had to tell her it was because I was a loser, sad eh?

Martie said...

$12. per hour to work at Mickey D's? Man, jobs are so scarce in Michigan and the starting wage for a Mickey D job here is only minimum wage! Unemployment is really high here right now....my hubby was laid off earlier this month, but it only lasted 2 weeks before he was called back, but there are many more laid off people that are going on a year or more of unemployment and their benefits have run out. I guess we should count our blessings!