Tuesday, May 16, 2006

It's the end of an era...

Most people that know me, know that before jumping headfirst into my dayhome I was working for the Calgary Board of Education. I worked at Albert Park Elementary School and was the librarian there for about 5 years. I also held other positions in the school, school assistant, ESL assistant, but most importantly school technician....that was pretty hard considering I'm a PC girl and was thrown into the world of Macintosh. I swear if I decide to buy a dayhome computer it'll be an IMAC. I love those things, not only are they cute but really easy for kids to operate.

Anyways I'm losing my focus here...Albert Park...it was the first place where I had my very own office which at times I shared with various people, most memorably was with Lynn the Visual/Braille assistant. I think my eyes popped out of my head when she casually mentioned that she belonged to the Rifle & Pistol Club. I've grown out since then and it wouldn't phase me now...but then...I was thinking "what have I gotten myself into?". Lynn turned out to be a great roomie and I'm sorry that we never kept in touch when she left our school.

Albert Park is also where I met my best galpal Kathryn. About 3 years into our friendship she mentioned that she should never have told Harold (our principal) that her name was Kathryn, she should have just stuck with Kate which is what she was normally called by her friends...but now she's stuck with Kathryn from the Beck family (well I'm sure Aaron will always call her Katrina)...I could have killed myself laughing when Jeff called her Katie for the first time...they're so cute and in love!

CBE has decided to close 2 old schools and build 1 new school, Albert Park will be one of the old schools to close its doors - after 47 years...

My mother in law heard there will be an Albert Park School Reunion in the near future so I think I'll go and see who's there and maybe there will be a couple success stories from the students.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Lesley,

This is totally unrelated to your post although I am sad that it is the end of an era. I have posted here a couple times and read that you would be looking at taking another child in September to your dayhome. I am looking for a (part time) dayhome for Lucas and you seem like a really great person. I have some questions for you and was wondering if you would be willing to e-mail me curlyjenn@gmail.com.

Thanks and hello to all the other readers,

Jenn
http://jennandlucas.blogspot.com

Lesley said...

I'll send off your email ASAP Jenn, hope you and Lucas are enjoying the sunshine!