Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I can totally tell it's almost spring


I've got this uncontrollable urge to purge. I go through this every year - maybe even two or three times a year. I just feel the need to go through every closet, bin, storage area, drawer, tote and get rid of "stuff". The majority of this is toys and I have an overabundance of them. I used to think that it was ME who had the shopping habit BUT I have come to realize that it's actually AARON that buys most of the toys between all major holidays/typical gift buying occasions. I really don't fault him for it, he loves taking the kids shopping and helping find that special something. So, now it's time to part ways with the not-so special somethings.


Alex requested a picture with one of his favourite toys, a FP castle complete with little knights and armed guys. He plays with this for hours at a time - sometimes he makes fab plans for his Galactic Heroes to come invade. This was probably one of our greatest yard sale purchases evah! Well, it's right up there with the Today's Kids rocking horse...which will be looking for a new home asap.

Now I'll have to go ask Joe what his favourite toy is. I'm guessing it could have something to do with Spiderman or Pirates.

Next I'll need to figure out where all of these toys are going. The last time I tried to drop off at a donation depot a lot of stuff was refused because they had too much or because it was baby related. It's pretty discouraging when you're trying to do a good thing and then to be rejected. Apparently Calgary is a rich city which can afford to be picky about accepting donations. Maybe I need to look at a family at the church that could use some toys. I'm open to suggestions - although I will say I have no interest in consignment. These toys have entertained a lot of kids and we've gotten our monies worth, I'd rather give them away and be done with it than trying to sell them by the piece. I want them out - now.

This weekend's project will be the ginormous rubbermaid totes in the garage - and finding a home for the double stroller. I had someone that was interested about 6 months ago and then nothing ever came of it. The canopies are a bit faded but it works great. :o) Any takers out there?





5 comments:

Tracy said...

For Us here is Michigan....Spring is a long way off!!! They are predicting us to get another 4 inches of snow Thursday night into Friday morning! I am so sick of it! I need spring so bad!! Love the pix! You have such a beautiful family! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Les,
I do the seasonal purg as well, and I LOVE Cra1gsL1st. You can post items in there for free or for sale, there is no fee to use the site and you don't need to leave a phone # or anything, people can reply to your ads and the site re-routs these messages to your e-mail. I have given away quite a few things through the site! Its great.
Kris.

MelComeau said...

I use kijiji.ca for a lot of the things I want to get rid of or if I'm looking for something second hand to save some money. You should check it out, they have a section for EVERYTHING!

MelComeau said...

Oh, and I've got that urge the past week or so too... I finally have a day off and I'm going through all our clothes and getting rid of anything that doesn't fit or we just don't wear...

Brenda said...

I am constantly getting phone calls from the Canadian Diabetes or MS asking if we have any donations. You might want to try on of these and they will come to the house and pick it up. You also might want to see if any of your other daycare mom's could use any of these. Hope this helps.