Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Looking for some honest answers...

Dear Readers,
Tonight was my monthly dayhome meeting and it was a wild one! There were a couple attendees that don't usually come to our meetings and they definitely rocked the boat. Very opinionated and definitely tried to talk over anyone who's opinion they didn't share. I left that meeting pretty confused and feeling like we accomplished zippo.
Now I'll admit that in the beginning I mistook a seasoned provider as a newcomer - because she never comes to our meetings- but when she corrected me I apologized and thought that was that. It. Was. Not. She's very opinionated and it drove me nuts. I know everyone has their own ideas but that doesn't make hers the right one, does it?
Maybe you guys can give me your opinion on something.
If a toddler in your care had a diaper rash would you or would you not apply ointment if the parents have given you written permission? Personally I would and when my son was in a daycare I gave them consent to do the same. Tonight I was told that I shouldn't because of the sexual innuendo that I'm opening myself up to. WTF? If you're worried about being accused of inappropriate touching than you should not be working with children. Period.
I was absolutely blown away. Am I wrong? In my mind applying diaper cream isn't much different than cleaning a poopy bum.
So tell me, am I way out of line here?
Signed,
Confused and Frustrated Dayhome Secretary

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Les,
You are 100% right in applying the cream ( I am in the diaper biz myself and we service several daycares including government run ones )with written concent from the parent(s). By not applying cream to a rash when asked to do so would constitute neglect as you are not keeping the childs health and saftey into consideration. Diaper rashes can VERY easily turn into yeast infections, vary painful for babies when not treated with the right creams. Some people are just lazy and will think of any reason to do half a job.
Kris.

Shoshana said...

Since I have a horribly allergic children, I tend to not put ointment on any child in my care until I know what the child is allergic to.

If there's no known allergies, I wouldn't hesitate to put vaselin, or desitin or even just making sure the bottom is as dry as it can be.

One time, someone thought to put 'folk remedy' medicine on my baby, only problem is, my baby is allergic to any wheat component, and the ointment is made by aveeno. Yep, emergency room trip. I wasn't mad, but it made me realize that maybe I should have allergic alert on each child in my care.

MelComeau said...

I think as long as there is parental consent then do it!! If I had a child with diaper rash, I would want my child's care provider to do something about it... If a parent is really worried about anything sexual then why on earth would they leave their child with that particular person! I mean really, I couldn't leave my child with anyone I didn't trust!

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie,

When I ran a dayhome, I had it in my contract that if the parent wanted said cream applied, they would have to provide it for me. I kept a daily log of all kinds of activities for the parents and (if I remember correctly) I would enter it in.

But you're right about one thing:
If you're concerned about certain implications, innuendoes, you're in the wrong business.

You can't expect a child to be in your home for ten hours with a sore backside that would worsen if you don't help. You're there to help.

Virginia

Alberta said...

Am I showing my age when I say I thing some folks are taking this too far? Isn't # 1 in child care the well being of the child on all levels?

Allergies etc should be fully disclosed before the starting in dayhome/care...which would outline what to do if....

Glad I've passed that phase of my life.

Jenn said...

I hate meetings where one person is loud and takes over most of it. I work with someone like that and it is a skill to chair a meeting and try to handle someone like that.

I agree that it could be considered neglect if you were asked to give a child medicine and didn't. I also agree that putting bum cream on is very similar to wiping a bum.

Maybe this woman had a bad experience with being accused of something and is super cautious of everything.

Jenn

Heather and Jeff and baby Jonathan said...

i think that a caregiver should be expected to do whatever is needed in the best interest of the child...BTW you are totally okay to bum cream baby J's bum if its needed...sometimes his poor bum bum gets so sore...I cant imagine not putting something on it to make it feel better...i wouldnt expect you to do anything to baby J's bum that you wouldnt do for your own 2 little bums.

something must have happened for that person to mention possible bad-isms...

Blog said...

There is NO difference between wiping poop and applying cream. that's just RIDICULOUS. And, that's my OPINION! ;) Every person's opinion counts, and hers happens to be ridiculous. Don't worry.

Anonymous said...

With three boys of my own who got diaper rash quite easly. I told the daycare to use it the cream. Phoenix got it once so bad that the cream actually made it worse so she bathed him in corn starch, which seemed to work. But to answer your question. Yes if the parents say it's ok then it's ok. Like Kris said it could lead to neglect if not taken care of if you were asked to do something.

Brenda said...

WOW! What kind of care giver's first concern is that a baby is going to complain about inappropreiate touching. You are right, if you are going to whip poop, than that's no different. I bet your glad she is not a regular. Maybe next time her invite will get lost in the mail.