Thursday, September 28, 2006


Thirteen Things that Helped Me in the First Year of Parenting


1 Receiving blankets –Like Monica said you can’t imagine how much those little guys leak
2 Rocking chair –There’s just something to be said about rocking your little bundle of joy to sleep
3 Plug in bottle warmer-This is awesome for road trips! Although I didn’t realize at first that it actually takes like 15 minutes to warm it up from ice cold state to a nice warm.
4 Baby sling-I don’t think Joseph and I would have survived one unbearable hot summer without this thing to be able to walk around the neighbourhood in a diaper but still be covered from everyone’s view
5 Baby backpack –Alex was really into the whole baby wearing movement and loved to be close to mama –a lot
6 Jolly Jumper – This was such good exercise for my babies and they got such absolute joy out of it! To this day they love jumping –hence the Bouncer which fits snug as a bug in my playroom.
7 Baby monitor- For the freedom of being downstairs and not worrying about not hearing the baby or being able to sit around the fire at the cottage and not wonder if the boys are still sleeping
8 Stroller – I’ve gotten so much use out of my stroller that I’ll need a replacement if/when the next baby comes around. It’s a Graco and it was fabulous! Easy to fold, does corners great, has the cupholder for me
9 Diaper Genie- I survived without one for Joseph because he was in cloth mostly but when I started with the dayhome it was a definite must have, especially in the beginning when most of the kids were in diapers. Picture a hot day of plus 30 weather and not having a diaper pail?!? Gross!
10 Ocean Aquarium crib toy- Alex is 3 and still has his on his dresser, if he wakes up in the middle of the night I can usually just turn it on and it gives just enough light and soft noises that he’ll doze back to sleep
11 A giant purse –I think when Alex was about 6 months we ditched the diaper bag most of the time and I just started carrying around a bottle/diaper/wipes in my purse for the relatively short trips shopping or to the park
12 Sheepskin rug- My boys both loved this for the softness and texture/feel. It was very soothing for them.
13 Gripe water- There was one certain brand that we used that worked like a charm for the boys’ colic, which wasn’t often, and it smelled like licorice…yummy….both of their eyes would light up when they seen it, I’m not sure if it was from the taste or if they associated it with relief from whatever it was that was bothering them.





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



2 comments:

Alberta said...

How in the world did I ever manage to raise 2 daughters without all those modern aids! I had a rocking chair, receiving blankets, a jolly jumper that clamped on a door frame,gripe water and of course, my big to us splurge, a Gendron stroller. That was a huge expense but well worth the money. It had springs and everything and did we get some great use out of it. The only real draw back...it didn't really fold up and wouldn't fit in the back cubby of a VW Bug!

Gee, Lesley, I didn't see any mention of the cloth diapers! Those were a lot of work! But they were the only thing that kept you and your big sister's toushies covered!

Anonymous said...

I've got to save that list. I think it may come in handy some day.