Wednesday, September 20, 2006

It's only 4:30 and all of the dayhome kids are gone already :)

What a lovely surprise to have that extra hour to spend with my boys before Aaron comes home! Yeah right! I tried to play with the boys and they just want to do their own thing in the backyard so here I am blogging to past the time away.
We had a wonderful day today, there was a new 3 1/2 year old boy that's going to come Wednesday mornings and he totally just fit right in with Alex and Ben. It's amazing how kids can form a friendship in the first five minutes of meeting, whereas a lot of grown ups need a lot longer to make that leap of faith and start a conversation with a stranger.
I remember when I first had Joseph, I had big plans of playdates, baby classes and Mommy's groups - not much happened though. We lived in an older neighbourhood and I just wasn't ready to make that jump into the unknown world of making friends as a grownup. Then we moved to Mackenzie and I had bigger plans of playdates, Mommy's groups and all that especially since I had another boy on the way and then I encountered the clicques at the park where the mom's were already friends with other mom's and didn't feel the need to talk to me or try and keep my feeble attempts at conversation going. I even encountered one snob that ignored me completely and started making phone calls while I pushed Joseph and her daughter in the swings.
Well...all that's changed, I'm not sure how or why but all of a sudden I've got a ton of friends with kids of all ages and I have no problem meeting new people (or wearing an inflatable penis and men's underwear in front of a crowd of just-about strangers - LOL -by the way did anyone get a picture of that?)and I feel compelled to include the shy mom's at the park in my chitchat with the neighbourhood mommies.
In summary...I hope my children stay just the way they are today -accepting new people for who they are, no questions asked and willing to take that step into unknown territory.

1 comment:

Alberta said...

Self confidence is a very special thing to give to children. It will serve them for the rest of their lives.

I have found that both Joseph and Alex are outgoing happy children. A small test was when we brought them to Medicine Hat to visit with their great Papa Johnston. Both boys had smiles and hugs for all the residents they encounterd. The big test was this past summer. Although they were shy at first, and who wouldn't be with that many new faces, by the end, they are all friends!