Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th

Like most bloggers today I'm writing about where I was when I heard the news. I was headed to work at the school and stopped in at Tucker's to give Susie a hand and catch up on the latest gossip. As I walked in the door she said 'those f***ers finally did it and managed to take down a tower'. I honestly had no idea what she was talking about, the Petro Canada building? the Calgary Tower? and then I heard the reports on the radio. I was shocked, things like this happen on TV or it's stuff you learn about in History class, and now it's something that my children will be learning about in History class someday.
So, I carried on to school and unbelievably no one had heard anything, well in all fairness I think there were only 2 other people there when I came in. Being a very multi-cultural school where the whites are the minority a lot of our students weren't allowed to leave their homes. The parents feared the kids would be beaten up by classmates. It was truly heartbreaking, trying to console a parent on the phone and trying to understand their fears.
Kathryn and I were already partners in crime in the Kindergarten class and kept each other company for the day. We both remember sitting at the little round yellow table and hearing an airplane overhead and silently freaking out. Lucky for us the kindergarten kids really weren't sure what the heck was going on so we tried to have a normal day. Tried as we may have , it was something I hope we never have to relive again.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Well, I remember where I was too. I had just begun my first year of community college for my accounting diploma. I just came out of first class and everyone was talking about it so we went to the student lounge and was watching TV when the second plane went into the tower. I and many others were very upset so classes had been cancelled for the morning. Within and hour we (the entire student body) were called into the gymnasium and were told that the college would probably be used as emergency shelter and that we would not have classes for the next week. Students went home and the next morning early (6 am) I was at the school, with other student council members, helping out where we could. I became part of the shuttle service for people that needed to go to the mall, to get medication or anywheres else they felt they needed to be. It was quite the experience. I only helped for the first day. After that, everything was pretty organized. We didn't have classes for over a week.