Monday, June 16, 2008

Where's the consideration?

Today Alex had an appointment for a filling at the dentist. No big deal. He came out of the dentist room smiling ear to ear showing off his new CAPPED FRONT TEETH to his daddy.

Who was not impressed. At all.

At Alex's last cleaning we were told that he would need a filling done on the back of one front tooth. The dentist office sent away the pre-approval forms to our health insurance company on our behalf - and lucky we were approved because Aaron ONLY had to pay $300 out of his own pocket today.

I know we may sound like bad parents for complaining about this and in all fairness to ourselves I'm sure if the dentist said that Alex needed his front teeth capped we'd say okay let's do it BUT it would have been nice to have that choice.

I'll have to post a pic tomorrow, I'm busy cleaning out Alex's bedroom right now so Aaron can patch when he gets home from hockey. What colour you're wondering? Well, so am I. So far, it's been between orange and silver-blue according to Alex. Maybe he'll change his mind again completely before Aaron and him make it to Home Depot...

7 comments:

Alberta said...

Is Alex picking the actual colour?????? What fun is that going to be if it's pumpkin orange!

Jen, Paul and Daisy said...

I would have told that dentist I wasn't paying for caps that were never discussed with me. That is nuts! I hope you are not going back there. What will it be next time? He'll come out with braces on ...$2,000 please?

Which reminds me...I've got to make a dentist appointment...lol.

New MrsIngram said...

Same thing has happened to me. The dentist is trying to prevent Cait from having to get braces so they ripped out a couple of teeth and put in a spacer, and then when those grew in ripped out two others and put in a different spacer and they did this both on the top and bottom. Eventually we moved and changed dentist and our new dentist said no matter what she would need braces and the spacers and ripping out of teeth never had a chance to fix anything in the first place .. even after medical atleast a thousand or two later ... I was so not impressed!

Cait's room is bright orange and red. It can be somewhat alarming first thing in the morning .. haha!

Anonymous said...

You have every right to complain! I believe dental is a human right, just like health insurance. When we were first living in QC, we didn't have dental. We had to pay out of pocket, so we seldom went due to the fees.

When we moved to Alberta (dental coverage included), the dentist I had was rude and inconsiderate. Insulting me because I hadn't gone to the dentist for cleanings and I had two deep cavities. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed with his bedside manner.

What I wanted to say was something along the lines of "If dental coverage was a human right in Canada like health, than I wouldn't have to have this problem of cavities. Do you think I financially chose to screw my teeth?" Yeah, I was not happy with that dentist.

Back in QC, the dentist is just as lovely as she was when I left. And the fillings that the Calgary dentist did, well they need replacing because he didn't do a good job and encouraged cavities to develop. So I have to endure more pain from someone who passed judgement on me. For no good reason.

As Amanda Marshall says: Everyone's Got a Story.

Good luck on the color!! Little Miss went for a "Pink over Green" theme.

Jenn said...

Yikes! That is horrible, you could sue.... if you had endless amounts of money.

Jenn

Tracy DeLuca said...

YOU should not have to pay for something that you never approved! How DARE they do work on your child without your permission! I would be furious! Who cares if you would have said yes anyway... they never asked! Asshats.

Heather said...

I can't believe they capped teeth without telling you. That's unethical if you ask me. (Not that you did, but you know what they say about opinions.)