Sunday, June 08, 2008

Mother Nature must hate me....




Alright I'm not going to sugar coat this and I'm just going to blurt it right out:


I did not run the race.


There. I said it.


It was a HUGE disappointment BUT it rained all freaking day. I'm not embellishing that - it literally rained all day.


So, here's how it all went down.


4:30 we arrived at check-in

5:30 we were finally checked in and soaked to the bone and told to move our vehicles further away

6:30 we were cold, wet and cranky and still had a 1/2 hour wait - in the rain no less -

7:00 we were having Starbucks on our way home


I'm sure everyone is as disappointed as myself BUT in my defense I've been fighting a cold for about 4 days now and I'd already been demoted from a 10K runner to a 5K walker and honestly I think I would have ended up with pneumonia.


So, there you have it folks. Crockett did not walk it.


BUT, the 2008 Calgary Uncover the Cure - Underwear Affair still raised over $936,000. That's right, just about a cool million will go to researching and caring for people with cancers below the waist.


Thanks again to all of our supporters!



Now, I'm off to get some much needed rest. My anti-inflammatory pills for my throat wore off around 3:30 this morning and I couldn't get back to sleep for about an hour. Note to readers: Cool As Ice featuring Vanilla Ice is not recommended - but at that hour really there's not much to choose from.

4 comments:

Alberta said...

Lesley, as Team Captain you made the right choice for all our health concerns. As it is your better half and my better half are starting to show signs of illness to come. But, on a positive note, Joe & I are committed to doing our 5 km walk somewhere as soon as he's feeling better. So in the spirit of the race & fund raising, we will walk for Team Crockett.

Now the big question...same cause in 2009? I think so!

Thanks for raising the awareness level and getting us off the couch!

Jenn said...

At least you looked great. =)

Jenn

Anonymous said...

That's too bad :( Hope you lick your cold soon! You were there in spirit & honestly, that's what matters the most. No worries there gal!

LaughterThoughts said...

But you have a fun story to tell. :)