Thursday, January 28, 2010

There's something seriously wrong with this scenario

A dayhome provider in our area has been told to remove her afterschool children from her dayhome to stay within the legal number of children allowed for a private dayhome or be forced to close her dayhome. She has 3 children which put her over for 15 minutes. Maybe only 5 minutes if the bus is running late. And during those 15 minutes there is another adult in the house. The dayhome parents were all aware of the situation but that is not considered at all. Rules are rules.

What burns my butt is that she is a great provider who feeds the kids good food, takes them outside for fresh air and trips to the park and is LOVED by these children and their families. She should be commended for making accomodations not closed. I know of other dayhomes who do not take their children outside during the day. Ever. We all know I feel strongly about outside time and fresh air. So, why aren't those dayhomes forced to close their doors? As dayhomes aren't we obligated to nurture their emotional, intellectual, social AND physical needs?

And while my friend handles her dayhome children with ease there are other dayhomes that have only 3 or 4 children and are completely overwhelmed with them. They are the ones that should be closed.

I do understand that there are rules for a reason. We don't run sweatshops here or anything but now three families are left with zero child care. Unfortunately the government doesn't take any of that into consideration. Quality over quantity?!

So, if one of my boys has to stay home for school for any reason which parent do I call to come pick up their child so I can stay within the law?

You can't see but I'm shaking my head and rolling my eyes....

3 comments:

Allie said...

It is a tough situation. I agree with you completely in this though. I will admit that I run over by one child, sometimes two but always have the consent from all parents involved. In my case, I refuse to break up siblings so will allow the older ones to come over for after school care. We too are outside all of the time, going on adventures and have projects on the go all of the time. Yet there is a lady down the road from me that is "licensed", can have 7 kids in her home yet those kids live in the basement throughout the day, bring their own food for snacks and lunch and she meanwhile sits in her kitchen or on her porch puffing away on her cigarette.

Some how the government condones that yet I would be slapped on the wrist if my situation came forth. It doesn't seem fair does it .....

Lesley said...

It's just not right, isn't it???

Jenn said...

So frustrating. It is not right. They need to find a new way to regulate all of this....

Jenn