Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Do you know how long it takes to actually get frostbite?

Thanks to CC I do now. My dayhome resolution is to spend more time getting back to the basics. More outside time, reading time, imaginative play than battery operated toys. Which are REALLY annoying, but that's besides the point.
So in minus 15 weather today we went out for a walk to the park and stayed to play for about 20 minutes. I was worried about how long we could stay out in the cold for it's too long.
I thought 30 or so minutes.
Wrong-o!
There's no risk of frostbite until minus 27 weather according to Environment Canada's chart.
Although minus 15 with a wind of 40 km/h it would take 40 minutes for risk of frostbite.
The kids really enjoyed themselves. It was quiet in the neighbourhood and they were the first ones to play in the fresh snow at the park! I'm happy we went, even if it meant I had to bundle up in snow pants too.

5 comments:

Alberta said...

Good to know...does this apply to our furry family members as well? You know who thinks she wants out all the time...even as early as 6 am! Silly cat!

Darryl said...

I know I've never commented on your blog before, but I am a reader of it, mostly in Google Reader. I do have a comment on this one.

Although I'm sure you're right, I think it's important to ask, "Risk of frost bite to what?" I would think that an exposed arm would fair better than exposed ears, fingers or other places where there is either limited blood flow or a lot of surface area in the wind. I'm 100% sure you would be careful not to push the limits but if the fingers, toes or ears are starting to ache from the cold, it's probably time to go in, wouldn't you agree?

Jenn said...

Oh that Darryl, he's so technical. =) I once had frostbite on my cheek. It was a really cold day and we were skiing... so wind as well. I think it takes a fair bit to get frostbite.

Grumpiness from cold, that doesn't take long I'm sure.

Jenn

Lesley said...

I saved the link to the frostbite chart to read later because as I was skimming I saw that 'the volunteers were dressed in winter clothing and were sitting in a windtunnel' .. my first thought was WHO WOULD VOLUNTEER TO FREEZE THEIR BUTTS OFF??? Maybe not to the point of frostbite but pretty cold nonetheless.
I'll have to read it later for better details.
I love my outside time and I think I just felt like it was wrong to take the kids out in minus 15 weather. But now I've got the stamp of approval :o)
We even took Lyla with us to the park today - it was fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!