Thursday, January 08, 2009

What would you do?

My boys aren't liking Beavers all of a sudden. They skipped the Christmas party and tonight's the first night back after the holidays and neither of them are interested.

So, as a parent what do I do?

Option 1: Make them go. They would probably enjoy the games for sure and they're making rainsticks tonight out of wrapping paper tubes. Who wouldn't like that?

Option 2: Let them stay home. Where they'll do the same thing they usually do in the evenings, dinner, playtime, bathtime, bedtime.

Hmm, I'll have to consult Aaron and see what he thinks we should do. He's anti-Beavers because he didn't care for it as a kid (probably because he swallowed his 25 cent dues one time) so he may lean towards skipping it BUT he's also a believer in following through with whatever you start.

Tough call...

4 comments:

Jenn said...

The first question is what do you want to do?

I am leaning towards making them go. Like you said then can stay home every other night. If they don't enjoy it this time, then maybe consider not going....

Jenn

Anonymous said...

I hated Brownies as a kid. It was fun to start but them I just found it too dull and lost interest fast. My mom made me go untill the end of that season because it was a lesson in committments and obligations, but she never made me continue the next season. Good luck with your decision.

Lesley said...

Well I ended up making them go. BUT once I told them they were going they were totally fine with it and excited/happy to be going to Beavers.

I don't think Joe will go on to Cubs so this is his last year. The leaders totally make or break the program. The Beaver leaders are amazing with the kids and their enthusiasm is contagious! Then there's the Cub leader that I met who's all about the scouting and earning badges. My kids are more about the fun and games so we'll do Beavers and then probably call it quits...unless the Beaver leaders swim up to Cubs, in that case we'd reconsider.

Mrs. M said...

I think you made the right choice. Have them finish out the year and then they can move onto something new. Teaches committment and they do have fun once they're there.
Good call Momma Beck!