Thursday, January 15, 2009

Strippercise was a freaking blast :o)



Is this what you have in mind?
Okay, we're not quite that athletic, we can't just grab onto a pole and fling ourselves around and around.

To be honest at the beginning I was having a hard time managing just the sexy walk. BUT it's only because I was wearing my sneakers - once I took them off I could totally strut in my socks :o)

The music was good, the instructor was good and the class was good. There were about 10 of us in this small MIRRORED room. And yes we had to look ourselves in the eye as we were performing/exercising. I think in this class there's a very fine line between the two.

Our instructor (can't remember her name) had 3 rules for the class.
  1. Respect yourself
  2. Respect others
  3. and I can't remember the last one (Andrea can comment and add it) I'm thinking it was like Have fun or something similar

Anyways, our teacher said that we are our own harshest judge and that was totally true. When she looked at me and said 'good job, you're doing it' all I kept thinking is 'are you kidding me?, I am so NOT doing it the way YOU'RE doing it' BUT at the same time I was enjoying myself.

So why as women are we so hard on ourselves? Even the totally fit women in the size 0 Lulu's were critiquing themselves pretty hard and laughing at their lack of coordination.

Do we ever reach a point in our lives when we love our shape and size?

Maybe that's something to strive for in '09.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Where are you taking it?

Lesley said...

Canyon Meadows pool through the city parks & rec. It was fairly cheap too, $75 for 8 or 10 classes.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure exactly what #3 was, but I think it was something to the effect of self-acceptance....will find out at next class..

A.
:-)

Mrs. M said...

You are so brave! Go girl!
Self acceptance at any size/place is a life long struggle isn't it? I recently heard my MIL talking about still seeing herself as fat even though she's lost a heap of weight. It shocked me. Made me realize for some people it just never goes away. Sad. So here's to all of us, making this change. I know I need to work on it in a big way.
It's awesome that you're trying something so FUN! That's what makes anything easier...the fun factor.

Alberta said...

Size 0...well I think it's outrageous they hardly ever have anything for size 14.

But I'm happy that you are finding a new way to get off the couch and get active. Maybe you'll have a move or two to show your Mom!

Allie said...

Oooh ..... I have always wanted to take classes like that! How fun is it? And you know, honestly, I would probably have a hard time of it at first trying to take myself seriously. I would look in the mirror and attempt to be sexy and then it would result in me doing something stupid to disrupt the class.

I have to honestly say that I am much more comfortable with my body since having children. There is that sense of pride in knowing what I have accomplished and it makes me feel beautiful ... with clothes on. Nekkid is a whole other issue .......