Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Need your opinion

The word against is a negative word, right? If you are against something then that generally means that you oppose it, right?

So, can someone please tell me why oh why there is a campaign for:


???

They are supposedly trying to promote awareness of autism. Kudos for them for doing it BUT shouldn't their name be more like Celebrities For Autism or Celebrities Raising Autism Awareness?

And how did I learn of said company? My neighbour is hosting a Discovery Toys party in a few weeks and I was going through the mini catalogue and came across a promo for Celebrities Against Autism. I nearly choked on my coffee. I thought "what a HUGE misprint" and then I realized that it wasn't a misprint. Just a poor name.

Maybe it's just me reading too much into it (not like that would be the first time that's happened in my life, ha ha ). In my mindset though it sounds like a dreaded disease that you wouldn't wish on anyone whereas in reality its not. Autism is a lot more common than you may think on the CAA website they stated that there is a diagnosis of autism every 20 minutes.

So, what does everyone else think?

I think I'm going to have to send in a query as to how they came up with their name...stay tuned.

7 comments:

sari said...

I made a comment about how you need to really thinking about your words before saying something but realized I didn't choose my words carefully enough so I deleted it.

But I agree with you, it would be interesting to know why they thought it was ok to say it that way.

Mrs. M said...

Hi there!
Oh I agree with you...it sounds like they hate people with autism, no that they working for the cause. Strange choice of words.
We met at MTH at your sister's wedding reception. I was the wacky CSR that made you all clean when you shouldn't have been! So sorry!
I would love to get in touch and talk further about operating a dayhome, specifically B&A School Care in my case. Any suggestions & info would be of great help.
Thanks so much!
M

Alberta said...

Was it not Mother Theresa who would not join in a war protest? Instead she said if they were promoting peace she would be there.

The campaign slogan was a poor choice. You can't choose to be non autistic any more than you choose to be short. Someone missed a few grammar classes along the way!

Jenn said...

I agree the wording doesn't sound right. It sounds like they don't like people who have autism....

Jenn

Tracy DeLuca said...

Gack! What were they thinking????

Brenda said...

\yeah, they could have choosen their words differently. We have a girl at work and her son has austism and the canadian sloggan is lets find the missing piece of the puzzle and their pin looks like a puzzle piece. I know celeb Jenny McCarthy's son has autism, and she is a big supported, i wonder if she didnt come up with it.

New MrsIngram said...

HEY WAIT ... What do you mean we weren't suppose to be cleaning? Hey am I the only one that read that part???