Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Some people have asked so here it is - my Ode to Kathryn

Good evening,
For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Lesley and my role of distinction today is that of Matron of Honour.
Kathryn and Jeff, I am thrilled for both of you. Sometimes you just know that two people were made for each other. That’s how it is today.
Kathryn, in all the time I have known you, I’ve never seen you happier. We have known each other since Kindergarten. Kindergarten at Albert Park School versus when we attended Kindergarten in the 80s, although we were both sporting the Kindergarten bangs. Kathryn has always been a great friend to me in so many ways. We’ve had a lot of fun together, and she’s always been there for our family and as godmother to my oldest son Joseph. We’ve come to know one another so well, that we have an understanding that goes beyond words. We don’t judge, and we don’t have to explain. We’ve seen each other through the good, the bad, the ugly and the lice.
Kathryn and Jeff truly compliment one another. You met as friends and it evolved into a love that so many people rarely find today. Love after all, doesn’t make the world go around. Love is what makes the world worthwhile. And it’s a wonderful thing when two people who were made for each other manage to fall in love.
So I’d like to make a toast. And I’d like to make it with this thought in mind:
If there is such a thing as a good marriage, it is because it resembles friendship rather than love.
So this is to you, Jeff and Kathryn, ladies and gentlemen: To friends, lovers, soulmates and a wonderful life together.


Well, that was it folks. I didn't cry when I wrote it, didn't cry when I proofread it, was totally pumped to give my speech in front of a huge crowd - and what happens? I cried through the entire freaking thing. That's so not like me, guess it shows how much my little Katie-pie means to me and my fam.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Lesley,

That is a great speech. I am working on the speech I have to say to our grads on Thursday so you've given me some inspiration.

Jenn

Alberta said...

Well said Dear!

New MrsIngram said...

Aww great speech Les ...