Friday, November 05, 2010

Welcome to Holland

This is a must read for everyone. It's an essay written about embracing the differences in our children.

It wasn't that long ago that our son was described as non-typical and labelled as developmentally delayed.

I think I've forgotten those feelings of guilt that I caused this, or the frustration from other parents and family that just couldn't understand or accept that he was different.

Reading my wonderful friends blog and how she's feeling as she expereiences this has brought back all these feelings and questions.

It's not a happy place that's for sure.

Why can't everyone just be accepting and embrace our differences.

It's probably easier to criticize and eye-roll then offer a smile and understanding.

4 comments:

Tracy DeLuca said...

I cried the first time I read that essay. Today I came across this....
http://adiaryofamom.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/my-holland-reprinted-from-hopeful-parents/

I didn't know your son was DD.... how did I miss that? Or am I just so wrapped up in everything with Braeden that I have forgotten that I knew it? *head shakes*

Jenn said...

What a great article. I think we should all appreciate Holland a lot more.

Jenn

Goofball said...

Holland is a great country! ;)
I hope you enjoy your Holland.


That was a great article, very refreshing point of view but I think I only got to see the introduction to the essay?

Mrs. M said...

XOXO