Monday, September 01, 2008

Day 1 of a new challenge!



Here's the challenge.Basically, it's not eating out for one month. That's right an entire month. Aaron and I were just discussing the bare essentials in life and how we LOVE TO INDULGE. Seriously, we're talking about $50 at Starbucks a week sometimes..or Happy Meals for our kids every weekend just because they ask or how about our trips to Timmy's for bagels and cappucino's?! I think most of our unneccesary spending is food related. Hmm...do you think that's why my summer wardrobe doesn't fit like it did at the beginning of the summer. No, that couldn't be related.


Here's the website that Jenn created for the challenge. You are all welcome to join it too!


So, sticking with the challenge here is my dinner for Day 1:


Yup, it's tomato soup, grilled cheese and OJ. So boring BUT we had a HUGE Sunday dinner with my folks and we needed something light.
So, Saturday night about 8:30 Aaron and I decide we're bored. Who could we phone? What could we do? We contemplated going to Morinville to surprise Mom and Dad but I wasn't sure if they had company or not so we called and when we found out they had no company we invited them down here for Sunday dinner and a games night. So, first thing Sunday morning they jumped in the truck and headed down to visit. My parents are fabulous! They've come down on a whim before and I'm sure this won't be the last time.
And the countdown is on. In less than 12 hours Thing One will start in a new school. Grade 1. Yikes, I'm more nervous than he is. We packed his lunch, gave him the pep talk about what will happen, set out his clothes and sent him to bed early to get a good nights sleep. I was kind of unsure about what to pack for his snack and lunch so he ended up with this:

Fruit and Veggie juice, pickles, cut up garlic sausage, applesauce, cheese string, granola bar and fruit snacks. Too much? Not enough? I guess we'll find out tomorrow afternoon.

I can't stop thinking about this conversation I had with another mom: "If an older kid told your son on the playground to pull his pants down, would he do it?" I said "Uh, no" but then said "Well, I don't think so." And about five minutes later I was in Joey's room quizzing him about what he would do in that situation. He said he wouldn't do it. PHEW! So, Aaron and I have talked to him about bullying and that it's not acceptable and to tell his teacher if he's being picked on. I don't want him to be a tattletale but I don't want him to be bullied either. Anyone who's read 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's challenge, and a review of Joey's first day...

2 comments:

New MrsIngram said...

I would love to join this but then what would my kids eat on Pizza Friday .. geez I guess I could always cook it! It's just so easy these days to do take out. I have to agree with you though I think most of our money is spent on food also.

Can't wait to hear how Joey's first day of school was!

Alberta said...

Lesley...this may be the easiest challenge or the hardest one yet. Easy if Dad was home every night because you know he loves to cook and he's great at it. Hard because some days you really don't want to cook or you're on the road...driving south for supper & games! I'll discuss this with Dad and let you know! Good luck to all who choose to undertake this challenge!