Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Thinking green

This post is dedicated to my earth loving friend Jenn :o)

I am a terrible wrapper. I can admit it. I can make some gorgeous cards but when it comes to wrapping gifts - I suck. People probably assume the boys wrapped their gifts when it was actually me. I'm just that bad. So, for a long time I resorted to these:
They're cute. Relatively cheap and way more easier. I always reuse gift bags that I've received (ha ha Foxy, yours is coming, just you wait) But even adding tissue paper decoratively is difficult for me sometimes.
Then after chatting with some people I realized that not everyone reuses their gift bags and it's a huge waste of money and resources if they're not being recycled. So, then I decided to buy good ole fashioned wrapping paper. My gifts don't look as nice as these with the crisp straight lines. Oh no they don't. BUT it's cheap and if everyone recycles the paper like I think and hope they do - I can live with that. And then as I was shopping for some gifts this year it hit me. The ultimate wrapping - reusable tote bags as gift bags. The price is right, they're as cheap as 99 cents although I went all out and spent a full $1.99 on fancy ones at Chapters in festive Christmas colours.
Unfortunately it came after the majority of my wrapping was done for the year so only my girlfrneds will received these environmentally friendly bags but I still feel good about this idea. Maybe next year I'll work on making reusable fabric bags for my family gifts...

4 comments:

Alberta said...

I always re-use gift bags! I do try and use the appropriate one for the occasion...I guess Happy Birthday wouldn't do at Christmas!

If you are serious about fabric bags...the seasonal stuff will be on sale very soon!

Anne said...

A great idea for wrapping baby items is to use receiving blankets. Dish towels and bath towels are also great items that can be used to wrap gifts.

Anonymous said...

Loved the re-useable bag - great idea!

A.

Jenn said...

I also loved my reusable bag! I love all things green and Christmas is not very green, but you helped to make it a little more green.

Jenn